Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Creative(s)


 Hello again, or hello for the first time if you’re new here. Thanks for stopping by I know it takes some effort to click and read these and I can’t tell you how much it means to me... well us. 

 You may be asking yourself  “who’s us?” Do I have a guest blogger or maybe an interview? 

I asked two of my favorite creatives to give me a top 5 list. Now if you’re not a creative or at least not trying to make something of it the information in this blog is definitely for you. If you’re one of my creative community members you’ll probably relate to some or all of this. 

Back to that open. I am truly thankful for support and even more for feedback and interaction. Those are the things that will help me (us) grow. Clicking that like button is important algorithms aside, comments about what you like or maybe didn’t like so much are necessary. Don’t be afraid to hurt our feelings because almost nothing you can say is worse than what we fill that empty with. 

I recently did a test in my Instagram story, it was done over a few weeks. I first did a series of polls asking about if followers knew about my work. Mixed results but most had no idea I’ve written books or this blog and was a guest on a few podcasts. I know maybe I should talk/post about it more.. next I asked for blog topics anything goes nothing was off limits. This is where I already knew the results before I hit post.

You guessed it not one response (well I got one literally as I was hitting the delete button. Thanks best friend I see you) I watched who and when people saw the story over the about 24 hours it stays up. Going from 2 views in 40 minutes to well over 20 the next hour. By the end 50 people saw it and not one suggestion. At this point I knew I was going to write about how that comes across. Now I was kinda mad so it was going to be a little salty. 

Instead I decided to reach out to my peers. One involved in visual arts and the other a maker. I asked them to give me their top five helps and hurts for supporting your creative friend/family. 

I am not at all surprised by these lists btw and that means you can apply these to almost any creative you know. One big thing I can whole heartedly say is we really do need your support. 

We’ll start with the not helpful lists I’m going to combine the lists.

NOT HELPFUL 

1a. Re-imagine your path, for you

Yeah this is always meant well but better left unsaid 

1b. Taking your stuff/items and not using it

This is a big one, I’d give away books if I knew I’d actually get helpful feedback (for real hit me up and I’ll hook you up) 

2a. Buying something you make from a big store

This is a really big one I see in the maker community, if you have a friend that is selling jewelry or hard goods and you go get the exact same thing from a store or something it can be seen as “people don’t see or value my work.” Especially close friends or family. 

2b. Trying to curb your expectations by offering what they think are alternative options

I can’t say I’ve had this exact experience but I will say that anytime you dislike something just say it and let us figure it out and answer our questions about your opinion as a fall back to help us understand. 

3a. That condescending high-voiced encouragement lol

This is probably my most hated non-helpful. I’m everyone’s hype man but I’m for real hype for you. Nothing worse than a fake hype person. 

3b. (This one is mine) telling me how much you want to read/buy my books but not having a real intent to 

Yes it’s money no I don’t think it grows on trees but neither does hard work and effort. I put everything I am into my work and it won’t hurt my feelings if you say it’s just not for you. It does hurt when I dread looking at my sales sheet and seeing a big fat zero after ten people told me how much they wanted to read it. However here are some ways you can help us out! 

Helpful 

1a. Random “i-see-you” acknowledgement

Yo! I see you, is probably a quick text in my phone at this point. And I really do see you, and I want you to know it too. I may not have the money to buy up all your work and I’d look real weird with one plant earring in but I see your hard work and I want to acknowledge it. You sat behind a camera and laptop screen for hours to put out that dope video let me just double tap that and share it to my story. Speaking of..

1b. Share my stuff on social media

This is probably the most important, even if it doesn’t bring us any business it still feels good to have someone share your work. All the warm fuzzies. Ps if you always like a post-share but never actually say anything it’s kinda 😒hit  um with “this my friend look” for bonus points. 

2. Actually be supportive

I’m 50/50 on supporting my friends. What’s too much what’s not enough. Should I share this or what? When in doubt comment what you like if it’s a product let them know it’s something you’d buy even if it’s a quick “oh I’d love that in gold” because you never know if they can use that feedback. 

3a. Sharing info on pop up events my products are being sold  

Friend has work page- all the information is there. It is super helpful to share a work page because it gets more eyes on them and who knows it could just get them there big break! 

3b. Asking genuine questions of interest

Not one artist/maker I know will ever turn down an opportunity to talk about their work, especially if it’s a genuine question. Their passion will infect you and at that point it is up to you to spread it and unlike this virus it’s a good thing. I love talking about the world I’ve created because it’s a living thing to me. My “I’ve made it” moment will be when I have someone who’s read my work and related to a character and they light up asking me about them. 

4. Streaming/buying consuming the work obviously 

This goes for both of them. The best form of support is to just pony up and buy what they’re selling or maybe even work out a trade. Sometimes it gets hard and we understand that. 

5a. My new biggest one - i have a friend who i told about a couple new projects i’m having a hard time starting so i asked her to ask me about it every once and a while and pressure me like it’s an assignment, it’s really endearing to have someone asking questions anticipating content you haven’t published yet

This is a new one for me. I love the idea of this while it isn’t necessarily a beginners tool it would be amazing to have someone that cares enough to help you stay on track. My first book was written like this. 

5b. Give honest feedback

This. THIS! Yes creative people are often sensitive but it’s because they feel so much and passionately. Even if you don’t like something it’s helpful to let us know. Maybe don’t rip us without warning but give a good compliment sandwich (good bad good) 

So there you have it. Like, comment, share, is on posts for a reason. I had so much momentum going into the launch of my second book All That Coms After that I couldn’t be stopped but it all fell flat because I couldn’t get feedback. I can handle it being bad but being a never got off the ground is the worst pain I’ve felt... and I’ve been hit by derby girls 😳. 

Go forth and support your creative friends, I promise you won’t be disappointed and they’ll love you forever. -MH 

special thanks to my list makers. 

sea-monstrosity.com 

https://instagram.com/sunflowerstatestudios?igshid=1s8xhrpubb92u

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homes Room one year later With Sea Mo