Sunday, August 23, 2020

Where did he come from?

So you want to write a story? How do you pick  character traits ? What’s my go to? 

I tend to look for a person I can see them as.. in this case our hero in the Here We Remain series Mark. 

   I thought about what he looked like first. Not who he is but what he looked like. That made me see him in my head and informed what I’d believe he could or would do. 
So I set out with the idea of he’s an “every man” kinda guy. I thought about everyone I could and yep I came to Mr. Chandler Bing! 

He has a lovable smile and you want that guy to win even if he’s kind of an ass. So I built what I saw off of this like a template. 

Things I add visually to a character (Mark) he has an eye dimple when he smiles. His eyes are a bit sadder. Now that I know what he looks like, who is he? Charming but a little dumb. He makes up for a lack of common sense with humor. He’s probably picked up working out but life and a lack of effort had him drop it so he probably isn’t the most consistent person. He loves his family and that’s the most important thing about him. 

From there the journey he’s on will have him react with those things at its core. The more you build at the start the better you’ll know your character. 

So if you’re going to write a story find a way to see your world and the people who live in it. Now go create something! -MH
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homes Room one year later With Sea Mo