Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Time Flies

 











Laughter floats on the wind with a sweetness. It’s coming from the overlook, only you cannot see any one standing. The only hint to people at the very top of the wooden tower is laughing and hair whipping up from time to time with the breeze. 

“Shut up, I can’t believe I told you that story!” Her voice comes with an angry sweetness like I’ve never heard or felt before. 

My heart is pounding, am I really sitting here with this pretty girl and not making a complete fool of myself? She looks at me almost as if she’s known me her entire life, “Can I ask you something?” 

“I thought that’s what we were doing?” Her voice reassuring and inviting. 

“Do you remember me?” I set my heart up to be hurt. I’m convinced I’m forgettable and the sting of being reminded must be my kink. 

Her eyes fall to the wood planks under us...

Should I remember him? Did we go to school together, or maybe, I don’t know. I feel awful I used to be so wrapped up in my own shit that I didn’t see people. 

“Sorry, don’t hate me but no I don’t.” I can see him sinking inside himself. I just killed this fun vibe we had. 

His lips that I haven’t been able to keep my eyes off of big and soft begin to part, “No it’s ok, really. We met at a party Brit had at your house. We even took a picture together look.” 

He pulls his phone out his phone. I suddenly realize neither one of us had had a phone in the others face for what seems like forever. The picture he showed me is in his favorite folder, I’m not sure if that’s sweet or creepy. It is however a good picture. He closes the photos app and I see the icon for the cheap driving app.

“Do you use them for rides? The other night I had a driver give me the worst vibe and I wasn’t even his victim.. I mean his passenger.” I laugh...

Her laugh almost makes me feel better that not only did she not remember me but she also thinks I’m a sketchy dude in a car, “Yeah I’m actually a driver for them. Actually I’m that driver.” 

Her embarrassed laugh is even cuter than her normal one, “Shit I’m sorry, that’s twice now I’ve made an ass out of myself.” 

I can’t help but still feel good, “Well now you know my side job, I kidnap people and charged them unusually low rates.” I joke hoping to ease her mind...

This boy is so sweet, very different from the dick head bros that always try and talk to me like they have me figured out. I feel more myself here in this moment than I have in the last month of work and home and friends, “Can I ask you something?” 

His brown eyes catch mine and it feels like he sees me in my rawest form, “Isn’t that what we’re doing?” He hits me with sass. 

“I know, I know, but really. I’m not sure what it is but you make me feel... I don’t know.” I lose my words 

A smirk appears on his face and it gives me the fourteen year old girl butterflies, “Yeah I know what you mean.” 

Remembering I have a few things to do tonight I know I need to go. I also have to return Brit’s car. I pull out my phone and ignore this pretty boy sitting across from me...

Her phone is in my face but not in a normal way it’s like she’s trying to be rude on purpose. Breathing in the time we just spent together realizing we can’t stay like this forever and soon we will go back to our individual lives to only most likely never see each other again. 

“Sorry I have plans tonight and had to make sure I had a ride.” An awkward grin fills her face. 

My phone dings saying someone scheduled a ride with me. I pick up my phone and it says Janice has requested you as her driver, “Really?” I chuckle. 

Her eyes roll before she hides them with her dark sunglasses. I can see myself in the reflection. Suddenly I’m reminded that she’s out of my league. No way a girl that pretty would actually want to be seen with me out in the world. I pull myself back to my base zero and that familiar lonely world is home, is safe...

“I’ve gotta go but I’ll see you later.” I stand and walk to the stairs, “Thanks Mike, I needed this.” Walking away from him feels like I’m leaving part of myself up there. Eww what is that feeling? I hope I didn’t sound crazy or even worse annoying. He probably thinks I’m lame anyway, but maybe.. the smile on my face almost hurts. Walking down these stairs I feel lighter than when I went up, he let me leave so much baggage up there and he didn’t even know me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homes Room one year later With Sea Mo