Saturday, October 17, 2020

Book Review


As we start to transition from book 1 into book 2 All That Comes After, I thought hit would be a good time to reveal the ace up my sleeve. I believe in getting real feedback on my work in real time. So I had a very good friend read book 2 as I was writing it. 


That sounds like a “of course they’d like it” setup, I know but just stay with me. This friend isn’t afraid of telling me I’m messing up or just wrong. That’s one of the things that I respect about them actually. So I ask some questions about their reading experience with ATCA. 


Q: what’s your background as a reader? 

A: B.C. (before children), I was a voracious reader, particularly of memoirs, and I'd spend silly money on books on what seemed like a weekly basis.


A.C. (after children), the books I like reading starting being pushed aside for reading baby books and I'd read for me when I felt I had time.  That said, if I found myself with physical copies of books by my favorite author, I'd consume them in a day or less.


Q: What’s your ideal book? 

A: I will (and have) read books covering a wide range of genres -- historical studies on eugenics, memoirs about troubled relationships, fictional crime thrillers, and light fantasy.  The only one I never could get into was romance -- maybe because that's my mom's thing, lol.


Q: How critical are you of what you read?

A: I treat my books like my movies and television -- if it's a story I can follow along with and it entertains me or teaches me something without putting me to sleep, I'm down for it.  The writing and characters don't have to be perfect; sometimes the imperfections are what make the story!


 Now getting into the actual book this is where I want you to really understand this “Review” if you will. 


Q: Have you read HWR(book1)?

A: Regrettably, I have not read the first book in the HWR series.  No real excuse for not doing it, I just haven't.


I asked what they knew about the story going in. Obviously I love to talk about this story so. This was the only knowledge they had going in. “When I was getting ready to read a book in the HWR series, I knew I'd be getting into some kind of story about a zombie apocalypse.  I knew the second book picked up after firebombing had taken place and that there was a group of survivors travelling together.  I imagined it would be something like The Walking Dead.”


I say it all the time, any zombie apocalypse will hit the same notes. However this story took an unexpected turn, just how big? In their words, “What I didn't know, and what surprised me, was how relatable the characters were.  These are families who were just happy to be alive and together, and there were others who were hard asses hell bent on finding answers no matter the cost.”


I asked a few more questions about summing up this series.


A: I throw this book into the "light fantasy" column because the idea of zeeks or walking dead is still a bit out there for me, but I could totally see these scenarios playing otu with a post-nuclear society or even a post-viral epidemic world -- crazy!!


Q: Does this family we follow read as a real family?

A: I get the connection between Mark and his daughter.  She's independent, he's trying his best to leter her be herself in this messed up world, and though he isn't totally ready, he realizes he has to give up his control & protector role so she can find her way.  I wish I could understand more of the father-son dynamic, though I imagine it is totally relatable for guys with a father who's a bit detached.


Q: Were you able to see the world in your mind as you read? (This is essentially important if you didn’t read the first book)

A: The scenes were well laid out and the fights, both with the living and the zeeks, were described in graphic detail which made it easy to imagine myself in the characters' shoes.  I could feel the tension, love, frustration -- all of the emotions -- between the various cast members and, to be honest, that's what kept me wanting more.  I'm invested in and want to know what happens to each of the characters next!


Ok this may have a bit of a spoiler in it but I don’t think so. Ye be warned! 


Q: Who was your favorite character? 

A: It's easy to want to pick Mark as my favorite because he's that guy who wants everyone to be happy and safe and is willing to take a lot of crap from others just to keep the peace, but, I think Sarge is my fave.  Sarge is undeniably stubborn, a hard ass, unforgiving to a fault, and really a big jerk.  Despite how awful he sounds, he is those things because he loves hard.  He is a logical and tactical thinker, not willing to sacrifice the safety of his trusted circle by introducing unknowns without question.  He knows what it means to lose, and he accepts that death is an unpleasant inevitability -- something Mark remains naive about.

 

Wrapping up I asked what they thought about the book overall, no art now fancy cover just the writing on the page in its rawest from. What did they say?


“Overall, All That Comes After is engaging and makes for a quick read.  The journal-like structure of the book keeps the story flowing smoothly and keeps the reader from getting lost when moving from "past" to "present."  This structure also makes it super easy to start with this book and not feel like you've missed out on anything crucial from the first book.”


My efforts to get everyone I can to read what I believe in with all my heart and will take the risk of asking anyone to read, I asked what they would say to someone to pick up these books? I leave you with those words-MH


“If you're not sure you want to get started with the HWR series, my question to you is, "Why not?"  Take a break from our maddening world by imagining yourself in theirs!”


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homes Room one year later With Sea Mo